A return to the past

>> Saturday, September 6, 2008

I have found a hobby. Well actually, it's been something of a rediscovery. When I was 8, I started making jewelry. There was a bead store in our neighborhood, and I would walk up the road on Saturdays and buy beads. My friends would come along too...we thought it was so cool to get out on our own and make things :) I started out making simple necklaces and bracelets, and then turned to earrings. I don't remember how I figured it out, but I was able to make some pretty cute earrings for my mom. And she actually wore them!

Then somewhere along the way I stopped. I got distracted by life. But now I've rediscovered how much fun it is to make jewelry! And it doesn't hurt that Athens has an AMAZING bead store in town. If you haven't been to Native American gallery yet, stop everything and go now. No joke. They have some of the most incredible (and sometimes expensive) beads you will ever see.

I took 2 classes there last month to learn the "real" techniques of making beaded jewelry. I made 3 pairs of earrings in the second class, woohoo!! I'll post pictures someday soon. It has been so fun to get back into the art of jewelry making. I'm thinking I might try to turn it into a little side business....we shall see. Anyone need any earrings?

4 people also said...:

Anonymous September 8, 2008 at 5:55 PM  

me me! i would buy some from you :)

i love when you discover new and exciting things :) it is so fun! makes life more unpredictable!

Anonymous September 9, 2008 at 3:18 PM  

Oh my goodness, I totally remember that little bead store down the street from your mom's. I LOVED going there. It was always such an adventure. I would love to have some handmade earring as well. Love you.

Rach

Anonymous September 20, 2008 at 8:00 AM  

I took a metals class this summer for my masters, and I got kinda addicted to wire jewelry stuff. I'm teaching a high school crafts class now and showing them all the cool stuff they can do! Glad to see you are being CRAFTY!

Rebecca V September 29, 2008 at 11:53 PM  

I love reading your blog and I like making jewelry too! And so does Mary, we should have a jewelry making party!

Soli Deo Gloria