Sunday thoughts

>> Sunday, September 28, 2008

I used to have another blog, and I just uncovered a post from 9/2005 in which I talk about my thoughts on football. Ha! You must read it.

I just baked a loaf of banana bread, its fragrance is making my tummy rumble. This should be my best loaf yet, thanks to Julie's recipe. Speaking of my friend, her son should be a Gap Baby model. Seriously.

Hal (our pastor) spoke at church this morning about our tendency to turn the Gospel, which offers us freedom through Christ alone, into something more like "Christ + _____" (insert your personal struggle/bondage here). Nate and I were talking afterwards about what things we turn to for redemption other than Christ. I had to think awhile...but then landed on perfection. I am so drawn to doing the tasks before me each day as only my perfected body could do that I am enslaved. I cannot accept that this world is fallen, that I am broken, and that His grace has not only redeemed me but given me freedom to fail. I am so hard on myself for so many things!! The list can go on and on...I slept too late to read my Bible, I didn't clean the bathroom when I should have, dinner is slightly overcooked, I said the wrong thing, yada yada yada...

As Hal continues to dig into Galatians, I'm realizing that I don't really grasp what it means to be free. That we are completely FREE because of Christ's death for us.

What about you? Have you thought about how you might be adding things to the work of Christ on the cross? Do you get what it means to be free?

1 people also said...:

heather ryan morse October 6, 2008 at 12:11 PM  

I am in the same boat, sarah! when hal is talking i am just trying so hard to get it! i just keep being enslaved...christ+ social life, christ+daily list, christ+spouse, christ+downtown falcons...my +es are many! so we can pray that He will just show up secondly to show us what it looks like to be christ+ zero! :)

Soli Deo Gloria