East versus West

>> Sunday, February 22, 2009

At the moment, it seems that our future could be in one of two very distinct places: New Jersey or California. Ha, I never thought I'd write that statement. Nate has already interviewed for a research position in New Jersey, working in conjunction with a VA and researching about post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and traumatic brain injury (TBI) in veterans. He liked it, surprisingly. And they liked him. There is an offer on the table, a pretty good one at that.

And now we await a 2nd interview during spring break out in San Diego. This would be a somewhat similar position, working with veterans and PTSD. Still a research job, though he would be subcontracting with the Navy. Pretty cool, huh?

So here's how I see it, at least for now:

New Jersey
Pros

  • 15 minutes to New York City, could it get any better than that?!
  • snowy winters
  • living close to old friends
  • new area of the country to explore
  • the food
Cons
  • New Jersey?!?! It's gotta have a reputation for a reason
  • long cold winters
  • cost of living
  • far away from friends and family
  • spiritual climate (anti-Gospel)
San Diego
Pros
  • SAN DIEGO!!!
  • the ocean at your fingertips
  • active community
  • gorgeous weather
  • the food
  • living near friends
Cons
  • surfer-dude mentality
  • cost of living (Avg home price = $449,000)
  • spiritual climate (all roads lead to God)
  • far away!
I'm excited to see how our visit to CA goes, I'm glad I get to go too. California here we come!! :)

2 people also said...:

JDRichSLP February 22, 2009 at 10:06 PM  

Wow, exciting news on both ends...thanks for keeping your blog followers updated

I know this will comfort you greatly...drumroll....I will visit you and Nate at either place :) Okay, rest easy now :)

I think the military connection in both jobs is interesting, given previous conversations I've had with you....

Katy (KatySheCooks) March 8, 2009 at 5:30 PM  

Hey -- there's a great line from a John Gorka song, it goes,

"I'm from New Jersey. It's like Ohio, but even more so."

But I have to say that 15-minutes-from-NYC pretty much negates anything Ohio-esque about NJ. So that's my vote, but I also am a sun-o-phobe. Tim turned down a SD job a few years ago, because of the cost-of-living. But I think that area has been one of the hardest hit by the housing crisis, so you could get a deal!

Soli Deo Gloria